The Importance of Mold Removal

As a mother, one of the most important things that you do each day is help to keep your children safe. There are a lot of dangers which can affect young children; some seen and some unseen. One of the unseen dangers which can crop up in almost any home in the world is toxic mold growth. Although mold can be visible, it is not always easy to spot, as it can lurk in dark corners and under the carpet. Whilst toxic mold can make anyone unwell, young children are often the most badly affected.

Unexplained illnesses
If you or anyone else in your household begins to display any abnormal symptoms which cannot be related back to other causes then there may be unseen mold growth in your home.  Symptoms of mold exposure can include allergic reactions, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea. Those who have been affected may display any number of these symptoms. Another telltale sign of mold growth in a home is a sudden worsening of asthma symptoms in sufferers. If mold is discovered to have been the cause of these symptoms, prompt mold removal may help to alleviate the symptoms. Take care not to spread the spores around, as inhalation of airborne spores is one of the main causes of the associated medical symptoms.

The appearance of dark shadows
Early mold growth often looks just like a dark shadow in an area. Unfortunately mold growth often occurs in naturally shaded areas, because these areas contain conditions which are favoured by mold. However, if you do notice an area which is starting to look darker than normal, consider that mold growth may be the cause. Mold often just looks like a mark or stain which is very hard to shift. However, when it has been allowed to grow for a while, distinctive dark marks will begin to appear, which will soon join together.

Distinctive smell
For many people, noticing a distinctive smell is the first time that they realise that they may have mold. People often describe the smell as ‘musty’ or ‘old’, rather than being a rotten or foul smell. Others think that the smell is stale, as though the room has not been entered for a while. It is very easy to become acclimatised to a smell which you come into contact with frequently, so you may only notice the unusual smell occasionally when you first enter the room. If you do notice an unusual smell like this, it is a good idea to investigate and begin mold removal if necessary.

Dampness or humidity
High humidity levels are both a cause and a symptom of mold growth. Reducing humidity levels in a room is an important mold removal step. If you feel as though a room is damper than it should be, or if you regularly notice how humid it is, then you should make sure that you check the room frequently for mold growth. Spotting it soon means that mold removal is much easier. Bathrooms and utility rooms are rooms which are at high risk.